Our responsibility towards players, staff and visitors, but also towards our environment has always been a matter of great concern for us. We aim to be exemplary in all areas and whenever possible we have taken action to reduce the impact of the Geneva Indoors on the environment.
Beginning of 2020 we formalised this commitment and have now a dedicated team in charge of the sustainable development at the Geneva Indoors, headed by Léna Voisin. In order to assist us in our work in this area, we have followed the recommendations provided on the website “Manifestation verte”, which collaborates with Swiss Olympic and the Swiss confederation. It allows event organisers to list and improve in a structured manner all aspects related to the environmental impact of their event. In this way we have thoroughly analysed the 9 following aspects of the Geneva Indoors and the Nations Cup: waste, promotion, social aspects, noise, food, nature, energy, transport and general aspects.
The last edition of 2019 achieved in the event profile a very good result of 81%.
Our ambition is however to do much better in the future and to become exemplary in this field. We therefore are going to aim for the following objectives for 2025:
- A result of 95% in the event profile of “Manifestation verte”
- Organise a carbon neutral event
In order to achieve these long-term objectives, we have formulated, as first step, the 6 following commitments:
- Create a sustainable development concept, which will regularly be updated
- Communicate and create awareness about our sustainable values
- Reduce the impact of transports
- Catering respecting the environment and ethical values
- Reduction and recycling of waste
- Compensation of unavoidable CO2 emissions
You’ll find more information and our 2020-2021 environment report on this page.